The village of Ramosch
Ramosch in summer and winter
Ramosch in the Lower Engadine is located at 1’230 meters above sea level in the midst of an idyllic and pitoresque landscape, framed by an impressive mountain backdrop. As one of the least rainy places in Switzerland it is considered the warmest place of the Engadine in summer. The mild climate and good soil conditions once made Ramosch and the higher located village Vnà to the “granary” of the Engadine. On the slopes around Ramosch the stepped terraces of the former fields still bear witness of this.
In the 6th Century, the first Christian church of the valley was in the village, from wher the Christian community of the Engadine develped. The Florinus church in Ramosch is – after the church of St. Martin in Chur – the second largest Protestant church in the canton. Formerly it served as a sanctuary for pilgrimages due to the legend of Florinus, who had been the pastor in Ramosch in the seventh century and who worked miracles. The village was hit by two devastating fires in 1881 and 1883, only the house, two other buildings and the Church were spared.
The medieval castle ruin Tschanüff is the second attraction of cultural importance in Ramosch. It is located 200 meters from Schilana 80 on top of a hill, which is also known for its special flora. The ruin is the starting point of the trekking trail to the Sinestra Valley.
Medieval castle ruin Tschanüff
The Engadine has always been a destination of a special aura. Many writers and artists – including Friedrich Nietzsche – have found their “source of inspiration” in this region: A mountain landscape speckled with silent lakes, remote, rugged valleys, and authentic villages whose residents speak Switzerland’s fourth language – Romansh. A perfect setting for a relaxing holiday at your own pace.
Uinaschlucht hiking destination from Ramosch
Suspension bridge in the Val Sinestra
Ramosch offers everything that the holiday heart desires in summer: quiet hiking trails with breathtaking views, cristal clear lakes for swimming, alpine huts and refuges that offer accommodation for extensive mountain hikes, challenging bike routes, workshops of local artisans, open-air museums, climbing park… Both, adults and kids, will find their very own holiday program.
Ping pong table in the garden
Ramosch is situated between three attractive skiing areas. Scuol with 14 lifts and gondolas up to 2785 meters can be reached in 10 minutes by car. The Nauders ski area in Austria takes 20 minutes by car (40 minutes by Postbus) and the one in Samnaun/Ischgl in 30-35 minutes by car (by Postbus just over an hour). The Lower Engadine cross country ski trail down the Inn valley can be reached from the house in a 10 minutes walk. In Sur En, just about 4 km up the valley, there is a round trip ice-skating trail along the Inn river. Furthermore, we recommend the winter-walking and sledging trail from Vnà to Ramosch. Ramosch is the perfect location to start your ski and snowshoe excursions.
Ramosch in Winter
Further information about Ramosch and the Lower Engadin
- General information about Ramosch – ch/en/wanderland/services/places/ort-0532.html
- The lower Engadine – https://www.engadin.com/en/lower-engadine
- Wikipedia about Ramosch – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramosch
- Wikipedia about the Lower Engadine – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Engadine
- Engadin: Scuol – Zernez – https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/destinations/lower-engadine/
- Things to do in Engadin – Scuol – https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g1635396-Activities-Engadin_Scuol_Canton_of_Graubunden_Swiss_Alps.html
- Medieval castle Tschanüff – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tschanüff_Castle
- Winter experience in the Engadin – https://www.engadin.com/en/activities-experiences/winter-experiences-in-the-engadin
- Lower Engadine in Winter: The Castle and the ice skating trail – https://www.graubuenden.ch/en/graubuenden/regions/engadin-samnaun-val-muestair/ice-castle-master
- Winterhiking – https://www.graubuenden.ch/en/activities/winter/winter-hiking/10-winter-hikes-amazing-view
- Artikel über die digitale Rekonstruktion des Dorfes Ramosch vor dem Brand von 1880(article on the digital reconstruction of the village of Ramosch before the fire 1880 – in German)
Evening from the balcony